Tuesday, July 28, 2009

dirt.

Supplies:
Cardboard (To be quite honest, I used davy board)
1" foam for padding
Brown material (I chose cordoruy for it's texture)
Hot glue gun
Scissors/knife
Sewing Machine* (optional) Sort of a tutorial:
1) Cut 2 pieces of cardboard the diameter of the pot.
2) Cut or drill holes in both, so they match up.
3) Glue 1" thickness foam on one board and then sandwich it with the other. [Line up the holes]. The foam doesn't need to be the diameter of the pot. I used 3 or 4 pieces and placed them sporadically to keep the height between boards. [Make sure not to cover your holes]
4) Line the holes with fabric. Glueing down the excess on both ends. You won't be able to see the foam or cardboard through the holes with this step.
5) Glue down fabric covering both cardboard pieces.
6) Feel for you holes and cut X's where the holes are.
7) Fold the hole fabric under and glue.
8) Glue a sewn or folded "belt" around the entire circumference.
9) And that's how I made dirt. [from materials I had on hand]

[and yes, I see the shadows in the pictures, but I also see the light.]

1 comment:

Jenni said...

Thank you for explaining it further. I definitely have this on my list of projects to make.