Thursday, August 20, 2009

suzy's chocolate chip cookies

I don't believe in secret recipes...[why not share a good thing if you can?]. But if I were to have one this would be top secret. This recipe comes from my mother-in-law's kitchen [with a few revisions made by myself].

2 sticks butter, softened
1 stick of margarine, softened [original calls for 2 sticks]
1 1/2 c. sugar
2 1/4 c. brown sugar [original calls for 2 cups]
3 large eggs
2 tsp. pure vanilla
6 c. flour (loosely filled)
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 pkg. milk chocolate chips [preferably Ghirardelli or Guittard]
[original calls for 2 c. chopped nuts, but I never add nuts to my cookies. The idea is just nuts to me.]

Mix softened (not melted) butter and margarine with sugars. Add eggs and vanilla, mix briefly. Add flour, salt, and soda. Add chocolate chips when dough has formed. Roll into balls; don't go spooning them onto the pan, they must be rolled.

Bake at 350 degrees for 9-11 minutes. [I like to take them out of the oven before they're close to golden-brown and just let them bake on the pan for a few minutes before allowing them to cool on the rack]