Wednesday, September 23, 2009

there's a reason...

why I don't do tutorials...
exhibit a
Well, a few reasons to be exact.

1) my photography skills are not quite up to 'the' par I would like them to be...working on it, so please pardon my dust. [always wanted to say that]

2) to document each step is such a hassle to me, especially when I even get a moment to do some of these projects. I don't know how some of you do it! But I admire you for it.

3) if I had to give it a number, I'd say 70% of the time the projects go smoothly, the other 30% is dedicated to fixing mistakes or trying to disguise them, so you think that's what I was really going for.

For example, exhibit a was my attempt to document the steps it would take for me to pull-off ruffles on SJ's dance tote. Let's just say that exhibit a was just the beginning of this project's 30%.

Now take exhibit b [picture below], this clearly was not the original vision I had for this tote, but I like it even more. Thankfully, the polka-dot ribbon covers the holes where I ripped out the ribbon that is shown being sewn in exhibit a.

So instead of ruffles galor, I have a little ruffle fix accompanied by simplicity and bling. [and p.s. I am happy with exhibit b's photography work]

exhibit b
So instead of giving you a step-by-step photo-accompanied tutorial, I'm just going to give you the finished product. And tell you even though it's not perfect, I'm pleased with my work and so is the owner. I give you exhibit c...

exhibit c
I will also tell you, that I purchased the "hip messenger bag" at that one store that is basically established in every town across America, but I can't for the life of me think of what it could be called....starts with a W ends with an al-mart. You know what I'm talking about, right?

Anyway, it came with a bunch of iron-on designs, as you can see in exhibit d. I added SJ's choices for good measure [whatever that means exactly].

exhibit d...for dance!
And that is why I don't do tutorials.
[unless you ask very, very nicely]

1 comment:

Jayci said...

i LOVE this tutorial. the pictures, the human-element of mistakes (which you turn so cleverly into perfection), the design, and the commentary. SO fun. :D Turned out GREAT by the way!