Tuesday, January 11, 2011

the dollhouse bookcase

I have loved this dollhouse at Pottery Barn Kids forever, but like most things Pottery Barn I did not love the price. I was never tempted to pay the $299 or $399 it cost. It's no longer available, otherwise I'd double check on the price, but I think it's the latter. Since I've never been tempted to pay such a hefty amount for a dollhouse, I decided to make my own. And I only spent $60 at Lowe's for the materials. [I already had the green paint on hand]
I'll admit I had every intention of putting this baby together on my own with a little help from my dear husband. And if I'd had the equipment to get the job done, I would have. A friend of ours cut the angles I needed for the pitch of the roof and then graciously offered the services of his nail gun. So he basically put it together, which I am very grateful for.

I put the toys in so you could gauge the actual size. It's not exactly like the pbk version, but I love it.
I chose a white shelving board that was on sell at Lowe's. Looking back I would have chosen something different, it's fairly heavy. And it was not easy to cut into without chipping the finish, which is why I skipped the whole windows and doors detail. But I do love the beadboard detail I put in back and the class it brings to the piece.

And I love the price I paid for this awesome dollhouse/bookcase.

5 comments:

Jayci said...

It looks GREAT!! I'm really impressed. I bet you'll use it for a long long time and that $60 will go so far!

Beth B. said...

You are so talented. I love it! I even like the bead board on yours better than PB! You are just that amazing.

Jeralyn said...

The Beadboard was a Great idea-love it! Good Job, My Friend!

JoMama said...

LOVE it! WAY better than the PB one, so much cuter!

Sarah said...

Much cuter than the original. Incredible! I don't think I'll ever be able to say that I made a dollhouse. You are amazing!!