Thursday, July 26, 2012

Old Glory Wreath


This is another project I owe to my pinterest feed.  With pinterest if it's obvious to me on how to do it, I rarely click on over for a tutorial.  Sometimes I do, but not this time around...just wrap a wreath in yarn. [seemed easy enough]  

A few hints on how I did mine though...

I painted the wreath blue and white.  I skipped the red mostly because I didn't think it was necessary.  Painting at all isn't necessary, but with the white especially I didn't have to be perfect about closing the gaps on what would have been a green wreath.

I just tied the yarn end to end. I didn't even use a glue gun for this.

I marked out the width of my stripes beforehand.  I wanted there to be 13 stripes, 7 red and 6 white, just like Old Glory. They didn't need to be exact for me, just close enough.

I still want there to be 50 stars [or a fraction].  I know what I will use now for the stars.  I figured it out before the Fourth of July, but didn't have time to run to the store to purchase them.  So I'll wait until next year to add them...but I'll tell you now though.  [pearly pins]

I have seen friends use buttons which are really cute.  And I tried tying little white knots on a blue strand of yarn...that was time consuming and didn't look as good as I imagined. But I happened to have a pearly pin on hand and I loved the look of it...unfortunately, I didn't have 49 more or I would have posted it adorned with pearls.

Maybe I'll post it sooner than next year.  With pins.  And then you can pin it.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

I love it. I have that on my pinterest board to make as well. However, with the move this year I didn't get around to it. I'll make it next year.